Monday, December 22, 2014

Merry Christmas to All

   Wow, in only two days it will be Christmas! It seemed to come so fast this year!

   Well, with all the cold weather the chickens have been staying inside a lot. For chickens, this is never good. They tend to get bored and develop bad habits (egg eating, picking on each other).

   So here are some of the chicken's favorite wintertime treats!

1. Scratch



   For my chickens, scratch is an everyday treat. Scratch is a store bought mix of many different grains. They get it when we let them out in the morning. As you can tell from the pictures, the chickens love it!
   I usually sprinkle some outside to get the chickens to come out. They will usually spend a while scratching for overlooked grains. This is great because it gets them outside and moving around.
   I also put some in the inside bedding to keep them active in there. 


2. Sunflower Seeds and Meal Worms

   I give these in the same way as scratch, but I give much less, and much less often.

   Some people raise meal worms, but I buy mine already dead. I get mine at a bird feed store (they are meant for wild bird feeders). They look pretty creepy, but the chickens love them! They are a great source of protein, especially in the winter months when the chickens can't get their own bugs. 


3. Rice and Pasta

I don't know why I don't really have any pictures of these...

   Anyway, the chickens do really love rice and pasta! Usually they only get these when we have left overs. If we have old pasta, no one really wants it... except the chickens!

4. Cabbage

   This is the final and most special treat I give my chickens. 

   First, I cut a cabbage in half. Then I poke a hole through it and feed a wire through the hole. 


   Next, I cut up the inside. This will make it more interesting for the chickens and easier for them to pull in apart. 



   Lastly I hang it in the coop by the wire and let the chickens have at it!

They were very confused at first.


But, eventually their curiosity got the better of them!

The next night, all that was left of the cabbage was the wire!

(This doesn't have to be done with a cabbage. Any soft fruit or vegetable would most likely work!)

   

   I am sure your chickens would love any of these for a nice holiday present! I hope you and your families have a wonderful Christmas/holiday season and I will see you right back here next week!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!





No comments:

Post a Comment