Monday, March 23, 2015

Winter: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

   With winter hopefully drawing to a close, I thought it would be good to look back on the past couple months. Let me tell you, it did not go well. Shall we start with good news first?

The Good:

   We got a lot of snow here in New England this year. And I mean a lot. In Boston, they got over ONE HUNDRED INCHES! I am counting this as a good because I personally love the snow. However, I am definitely ready for Spring!


   Another good thing that happened this winter was finding out about new treats. I tested and discovered so many new toys that are now some of the chicken's favorites (for example cabbage on a string and Molt Muffins).


The Bad:

   So much snow. Yes, this is going under good and bad. Even though I loved the snow, the chickens hated it. For much of the winter, they refused to go outside. They've only started coming outside in about the last month.


   Also, Sleepy went broody at one point. It was for a short time, and I didn't manage to get any pictures. We had to bring her inside for a few days and there was some pretty bad fighting when we put her back in the coop.


The Ugly:

   I lost my favorite chicken, Lizzy. Even in winter you have to worry about hawks.

   We had a lot of boredom problems this winter. We have had two seriously injured chickens (first Raven, and now Daisy which I will be writing about soon). All of the chickens look torn, with feathers missing or broken. Most of them have small cuts.
   This was the first time I've had to deal with problems like this. My first flock didn't have any problems in the winter.
   However, I think we might have finally found a solution. I am pretty sure I am writing about it next week so you'll just have to come back then! See you soon!


P.S. I am sorry I posted so late today. I am sick so I slept in a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment