Monday, August 11, 2014

The Penny, Piper, Poppy Problem

   Once I ordered the chicks and I could stop obsessing about what breeds to get, I had find something else to obsess about. The chicks' names was what I settled on. A lot of thinking went into some of the names and here are the reasons for them.


Sleepy (Penny):
   Sleepy's original name, Penny, was about her coloring (when she grew up). She is a Double Laced Barnevelder so she will grow up to be a shiny black and brown.




   However, when we got her she was falling asleep on her feet. I wasn't able to identify to identify her breed right away, so we started calling her Sleepy as a name place holder. And well... the name stuck!



Nutmeg:
   Nutmeg's name is also about her grown-up coloring. She is a Welsummer so she will be varying shades of brown.




Raven:
   This name has two reasons. The first is the obvious. Color. She is an Australorp, so entirely black.


   The second reason comes from a movie. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" to be exact. I saw it close to the time I got the chicks and I loved Jennifer Lawrence's character, Raven.
   Before I saw the movie I was going to name this chick Poppy. A black body and a red comb, the same colors as the flower.
   This brings up the Penny, Piper, Poppy Problem. I loved these three names, but I didn't want so many names starting with the letter "P". As I said before, I ended up ruling out Poppy for Raven. I think it suites her better anyway!


Daisy:
   Our Orpington's name, Daisy, comes from a illustrated children's book. The book is Jan Brett's, Daisy Comes Home. Jan Brett one of my favorite authors. This particular book follows a brave hen in China, whose name is, you guessed it, Daisy. It is an adorable book with amazing illustrations and I am glad I can remember it through my Daisy.
   I thought the chicken in the book looked most like an Orpington, so that is why this chick got this name.




Olive:
   Olive is the same breed as my late Hazel. This name is in remembrance of her. Both green names, both red birds.

Olive

Olive

Olive


Hazel


Piper:
   This name came from a book. The Lost Hero, by Rick Riordan. I loved one of the characters, Piper. Also, for some reason the name suites her puffy cheeks.




Lizzie:
   This is yet another book name. This comes from the Gregor The Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Lizzie is the main character's sister and reminds me of myself in some ways.



\



Speckles:
   This name is color, color, color. She is a Speckled Sussex. Speckled. Her feathers are going to be dark brown with white tips.




This is where Speckles stepped on my camera. (Sigh).


   Hope to see you next week! Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment